Friday 20 May 2011

Nevada Peak - 6th and 7th May 2011

In a week of variable weather, the Friday and Saturday looked like providing the best opportunity to camp at high altitude in reasonable conditions. Off to Nevada Peak for the first time since my last overnight trip there. This is however, a day walk if you wish, taking around six to eight hours depending on your route and general speed. The tarns and the alpine plateau are lovely though, and an environmentally-sensitive overnight stay at the Snowdrift Tarns is great. I have some more information about the walk here, which will direct you to email me for the complex road directions and a walk description, including details for returning via Woolleys Tarn.

I climbed to the tarns in overcast, chilly and misty conditions. The clouds seemed to consist of a huge amount of very fine, but very wet, drizzle, and I was quite chilly by the time I got to the tarns. Once in the tent and with a coffee and nibbles inside me, all was well. The drizzle persisted until dark though, with the view consisting of the inside of the cloud and a small area of foot-high alpine herbfield around the tarn. I was hopeful that the weather would remain calm at least, in high winds the plateau here is a harsh environment despite some shelter from westerly weather afforded by the mountain ridge.

Waking quite early, my first look outside suggested that the cloud remained. However, once out of the tent I realised that the peak was out of the cloud, and the sun was rising beautifully. I set off to climb Nevada Peak immediately, camera in hand. Views were great and the following photos give a taste. The views of the Anne Range are particularly fine from Nevada Peak. Having returned to the tarn for breakfast later, the clouds again closed in, and by the time I had retreated across the plateau to return to my car, the peak was only occasionally visible through swirling clouds again. In the end, it was worth the walk for the views from the peak and plateau, but I had been dubious about it on the Friday evening huddled in my tiny tent.

Eastward view across the lower Snowdrift Tarn from upper slopes of Nevada Peak - 7th May 2011
Eastward view across the lower Snowdrift Tarn
from upper slopes of Nevada Peak - 7th May 2011

My own personal triple-rainbow appeared just above me in the misty morning air, Nevada Peak - 7th May 2011
My own personal triple-rainbow appeared just above me in the
misty morning air, Nevada Peak - 7th May 2011

Snowy South and the upper Snowdrift Tarn from Nevada Peak summit - 7th May 2011
Snowy South and the upper Snowdrift Tarn from Nevada Peak summit - 7th May 2011

Anne Range from Nevada Peak - 7th May 2011
Anne Range from Nevada Peak - 7th May 2011

No comments: